Monday, September 16, 2019

FAQ: The registration deadline has passed but I still need adviser approval or approval for over 19 credits; what do I do?

Registered for over 19 credits?
If you are registered for more than 19 credits and have not received adviser approval, it is especially urgent that you either (a) drop a class using the drop form which you get from the registrar's office, or (b) contact your adviser for a meeting to discuss approval for over 19 credits.  If you remain in over 19 credits without approval, the registrar will automatically drop you from your most recently-added course(s).  

Haven't met with your adviser for schedule approval?
As a reminder, all students were supposed to meet with their adviser sometime during the first two weeks of classes to get the adviser's sign-off on your final schedule.  If you haven't yet done that, it's not too late, but you should contact your adviser for a meeting ASAP. 

Thursday, September 12, 2019

DEADLINE REMINDER: Registration/Adviser Approval by 9:45 pm FRIDAY 9/13

Don't forget:

1.  Your Fall 2019 Course Plan in myBarnard/Student Planning must show, in green (i.e. fully registered)all courses that you are taking this semester, including any PE, Dance technique, Varsity sport, or rehearsal/performance course for which you will earn credit this semester. 

2.  Your adviser must approve your course schedule by clicking "Review Complete" in myBarnard/Student Planning.  Ideally, they will do this during an advising meeting with you.  If there are extenuating circumstances making it impossible for you and your adviser to meet until next week, your adviser may click Review Complete upon confirming an appointment day/time with you for next week.  Need advice/approval and can't reach your adviser?  Visit us in the Dean of Studies office!

Don't forget to drop any classes or waitlists that you no longer need.

If you are unable to add a course that you know that you're in, or if you are unable to drop a course or leave a waitlist for something you're not taking, please visit or contact the Registrar's office (107 Milbank,

It is possible that a credit for a P.E. course, Dance technique course, or Varsity sport may appear after the registration deadline (if the course is eligible for credit). If this does not happen automatically, visit the registrar to see if you need to fill out a form of some kind.

Friday, September 13 is the last day you may officially add a course to your schedule. If you need to add a course to your schedule after that date, you will need to petition the Committee on Programs and Academic Standing for permission to do so (contact your class dean if you need info about this), and a late fee may be charged.

You may still drop courses until the Drop Deadline, which is October 8, but don't forget you will need an actual paper form to do so.  To drop a course after Sept 13, you will need to pick up a drop form from the registrar's office, meet with your adviser for their signature, and return the signed form to the registrar's office no later that 4:30 p.m. on Oct 8. Find this and all other deadlines on the Academic Calendar and Senior Deadlines gBear Calendar.

**Note about Courseworks/Canvas**
Until the registration deadline, your CourseworksCanvas page may not look exactly like your myBarnard/Student Planning page because it takes some time for an added class on myBarnard to appear on Courseworks, and it takes some extra time for a dropped class to disappear. Courseworks will catch up eventually. The most important thing is to make sure that your enrollments are accurate on your myBarnard/Student Planning Fall 2019 page.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Senior Year FACT or FICTION: Limit to how many studio classes can count for credit?

Is it true that there is a limit to how many "studio" credits [studio art, dance technique, acting, music lessons] you can earn credit for?

YES; this is FACT. Per the Barnard Catalogue:
No more than 18 points of studio, performing arts, or professional school courses may be credited toward the A.B. degree. Of these, a maximum of four arts studio courses may be credited. A maximum of six courses in instrumental instruction may be credited (except for Music majors and minors, who may receive credit for eight, including piano instruction). A maximum of six studio courses in Theatre may be credited (except for Theatre majors who may receive credit for 24 points of studio).

One-point dance technique courses taken by non-dance majors for credit are also included in the existing 18-point maximum which may be credited toward the degree. A maximum of six courses in dance technique may be credited (except for Dance majors).

Exceptions to this rule are allowed only for courses in the major field or for courses taken in fulfillment of requirements for double and joint degree programs with professional schools of the University. A maximum of 24 points may be credited for studio or performance courses in the major field. A minimum of 90 points of traditional liberal arts courses is required for the student who majors in such a field; for all other majors, a minimum of 102 points of such courses is required.

Heard a rumor and want to know if it's true?  Submit requests for this series to

DEADLINE ALERT: Pass/D/Fail "Uncovering" Deadline: Sept. 13

If you elected the Pass/D/Fail Option for a course you took last semester, you are now able to view the grade you would have earned and, if you wish, "uncover" that grade.

Log into myBarnard, click on the "Pass/D/Fail Option" link in Web Adviser.

You'll be able to peek at what grade you would have earned had you taken the class for a letter grade.

If you like the grade, you may select "uncover" from the dropdown menu, and the course grade will appear on your transcript. 

If you do nothing, the grade will remain in P/D/F status. The deadline to uncover a grade of P is the registration deadline at the beginning semester immediately following the one where you elected the p/d/f option -- in this case, Friday, September 13, 2019.

I tried to click on P/D/F Option online as directed, but nothing happened!
This is most likely because you are using Safari as your web browser. Try Chrome or Firefox or something else. If the problem persists, contact Student Computing.

Monday, September 9, 2019

Introducting FLI Support Group for first-generation and/or low-income students -- first meeting Tues 9/17/19, 5 p.m. Milbank 105 Conference Room

The Barnard Student Success Program and Furman Counseling will be launching a support group specifically for first-generation and/or low-income students this fall semester. 

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Convocation! TUESDAY, Sept. 10, Riverside Church -- meet between 3:30-4 p.m. to march/sit with your class!

If you got a red shirt at the Back@Barnard Block t-shirt distribution (or if not, swing by Events Management in Milbank Basement 006 today before 6 pm to get one!), now's your chance to wear it and celebrate the start of the academic year with style and enthusiasm.

What's Convocation?

Convocation is a long-standing tradition at Barnard, as it formally and symbolically introduces the newest members of our community to Barnard's rich academic traditions and kicks off the academic year.

What if I have class?
Barnard academic classes will be cancelled from 4:00 PM to 6:00 p.m. to allow as many to participate as possible. However, please note that in some exceptional cases, a faculty member may choose not to cancel class for pedagogical reasons, in which case students should attend class.

Okay, I'm in! Where do I go and what do I do?
  • Wear your red shirt Tuesday!
  • Assemble at the 490 Riverside Drive entrance to Riverside Church beginning at 3:45 pm.*
  • Look for Dean Grabiner holding a Class of 2020 sign (or, depending on the weather, possibly a not-on-color-trend green umbrella...) and wearing a blue Columbia gown with comically long sleeves.
  • We'll all be marching in together

*If you're running late, come anyway! If you get there by 4-ish, you'll very likely still be able to march and sit together. If you're much later, you may have to sit nearer the back.

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Space available in Intro to Fiction Writing — join Tuesday with a writing sample if interested

Looking for a creative outlet and/or another class to add?  The English department wants you to know there is space available in:

Introduction to Fiction Writing, BC 3107, Fall 2019
Tuesday, 12:10-2:00, 403 Barnard Hall
Instructor: ELIZA MINOT 

This workshop will focus on voice. Through reading one another’s work and thoughtfully responding to it, consistently writing new pages, and absorbing and discussing outside readings, we will attempt to join up with the voice within us that is the most effective and engaging. All writers have their varying issues.  While one writer might be struggling with issues surrounding character, another might be hung up on problems with pacing, while someone else is overly lyrical to the point of distraction or is grappling with having absolutely nothing to say. In this workshop we will learn from each other what we, both as writers
and as readers, respond to. We will encourage one another to write as freely as possible to get the words on the page, and then, from there, we will hopefully begin to discover where it is we would like to be heading.

Interested students should come to class with a writing sample in order to be admitted into the class

Friday, September 6, 2019

Senior-Year FACT OR FICTION: Can't change your major in your final semester?

Welcome to a new series, Senior-Year FACT OR FICTION, wherein we address persistent rumors about credits, graduation, rules, exceptions, etc. so that you can distinguish Senior FACT from Senior FICTION.  

Heard a rumor and want to know if it's true?  Submit requests for this series to

Is it true that graduating seniors cannot change their major during their last semester?

YES; this is FACT. In general, graduating seniors cannot change their majors in their final semester. If you're a prospective May 2020 grad and want to change your major, do it this fall to avoid problems.

There are just a few possible exceptions:
  • You may change from a double major to a single major if you will be unable to complete one of the two majors.
  • You may change your concentration within a major (e.g. from a general biology major to Cellular Molecular Biology).
  • If you believe you have an extremely good reason or extenuating circumstance that warrants changing your major in your final semester, you may petition the Committee on Programs and Academic Standing. Such petitions may or may not be successful. Meet with your class dean to discuss. 
  • Related: You may add a minor in your final semester if you have already completed or are in the process of completing all the minor requirements this semester. If you are working on an undeclared minor, please file the minor declaration ASAP.

Heard a rumor and want to know if it's true?  Submit requests for this series to

Take Control of your Degree Audit at Auditpalooza -- MONDAY 9/9/19, 5-6:30 p.m., Reid 118 - Weber Living Room

Sure, you could (and should) check your degree audit all by yourself on any computer at any time (see previous blog post for advice on what to look for and how to fix common issues).

Or, you could also do it with Insomnia cookies and fellow seniors, in a friendly and supportive environment, with your Class Dean on hand to field questions and offer advice on trouble-shooting and problem-solving.  With this in mind:

Senior Experience & Dean of Studies bring you
Monday, Sept 9, 2019
5-6:30 p.m.*
Reid 118 - Weber Living Room
Bring your laptop if you have one

*Come by at any point, and stick around for the snacks and advice and friendly fellow students and deans

Thursday, September 5, 2019

What to do if you missed Wednesday's Enrollment confirmation deadline -- can still do it online THURSDAY ONLY (late fees apply)

Yesterday was the deadline to complete Enrollment Confirmation*. If you missed this deadline, you can (and must!) still confirm your enrollment.  You will be charged a late fee, but you can still confirm your enrollment online but only if you do it TODAY, Thursday, Sept 5, 2019 by 11:30 pm.

Any time after Thursday, you will have to confirm your enrollment in person at the Registrar's office in 107 Milbank, between 9:30am and 4:30pm weekdays.  

If you have a hold that is preventing you from completing Enrollment Confirmation, first visit the office the hold comes from and address whatever the issue is to have the hold removed, and then go to the Registrar. 

Please note that late Enrollment Confirmation subjects you to a late fee that increases over time, according to a schedule posted at the Registrar's Office. 

Don't want to miss any more deadlines?  Add Senior Deadlines to your gBear Calendar today!

*Note that Enrollment Confirmation is completely separate from registration and registration approval -- enrollment confirmation confirms you are enrolled in the College.  Registration/Adviser Approval confirms your registration for classes.