Friday, August 23, 2024

Welcome to your senior year -- I'm your class dean!

 


Dear Seniors,

Welcome to your senior year at Barnard! I'm Rebecca Grabiner, your Senior Class Dean, and I look forward to working with you this year. Like all the class deans in the Deans Office for Advising and Support, I strive to provide a non-judgemental space where any Barnard student can seek support, advice, and information. I can work with you on something as simple as approving a form if your adviser is out of town, or something as serious as a health or family emergency that affects your ability to engage with your coursework. I have appointment times and walk-in hours several days a week.

I’m happy to help you keep track of requirements, deadlines, policies, procedures, and credits, and to empower you with tools to help you keep track of these yourself. Basically, I have three important goals that I hope you also have: for you to be well and safe, to learn and to grow, and to graduate! I will organize a lot of the info you need to do these things right here on the senior blog.  I encourage you to bookmark the this blog and follow our Instagram and/or Twitter/X – and to upload the Barnard Academic Calendar to your gBear calendar.

A few updates, deadlines, reminders, and helpful links for now: You can once again register/add/drop fall 2024 courses on August 31, and final registration/"shopping" begins on the first day of classes, Sept. 3. If you’re feeling a little rusty on administrative stuff after a summer away, recent senior blog posts can refresh your memory on how to view registration appointment times and holds, find 1-2-credit classes, check your position on a waiting list, use Vergil to search for open classes, request permission for over 19 credits, or below 12 credits (if appropriate) if this is your last semester. There is also advice if you're trying to register for overlapping classes.

Now is also a good time to review your degree audit and remaining credits. The final exam schedule (I know -- eek!) is already available to help you make winter break travel plans. You’ll be hearing from me regularly in weekly 411 emails -- which will all link back to the blog for more details and links -- and I’m happy to meet with you any time.

I look forward to getting to know you!

 

All the best,

Dean Grabiner

rgrabine@barnard.edu

https://deangrabiner.youcanbook.me/ 

Walk-In Hours