Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Senior FAQ: Can I take a Dance Technique class for credit?


Q: I've already completed my PE requirement, and I'm not a Dance major. Can I take Dance Technique classes for credit?

Short answer: YES

 

Longer Answer:

Barnard Dance Technique Class Policy:  

For non-Dance majors:

One-credit dance technique courses taken by non-dance majors for credit over and above the physical education requirement are included in the maximum of 18 points of studio, performing art, or professional school courses which may be credited toward the degree; a maximum of twelve courses in dance technique can be credited

 

For Dance majors:

Dance majors have no dance credit limit, but cannot receive credit for a lower level after a higher or for the same level more than twice. 

 

I'm in! How do I get credit?

The default value for dance technique courses is 0; students may receive academic credit for a dance technique class only if they have completed or are concurrently completing the Physical Education requirement, and only upon filling out the Request Credit for a Dance Technique Class in Slate.  Ballet I and Modern I receive a P/F grade and have no prerequisite.  Global and Somatic Forms courses require a placement audition at the first class meeting or permission of the instructor and are grade bearing courses.

 

I took a dance class in a past semester and I just realized it's showing as zero credits on my transcript?!

That's okay! You can fill out the Request Credit for a Dance Technique Class in Slate for a past class too!